Thursday, January 13, 2011

Accountability

Everyone seems to make resolutions for the new year.  And I kind of do, too.  But I don't write them down or even tell anyone.  Well, I've just read that that is just the wrong way to do it!  That is, if you want to stick to them.

So you get to be my auditors.  Too many Y chromosomes for this to work around here without you.

My to-do list:
  • Get exercise (notice that I did not say "more")
  • Get more sleep
  • Clean up clutter
  • Finish projects (craft, home, work)
So today I am proud to show you my clean kitchen counter!
(Don't you love my cobalt blue wine bottle plastic bag drying racks?!!!)

I promise not to bore you with daily or even weekly updates.  And I might even choose to do one of the above resolutions instead of blogging since my time is limited.

But I must admit that I do love the clutter-free look.  And usually things are not clutter-free.  Why?  Because I am a multi-tasking, part-time working, mom.  And that means that I don't usually get to finish what I start.  And I don't have dedicated spaces for anything.  And that means that my multi-tasking spaces mean "get out project", "clear project out of the way", "get out project", "move project to a different room".  (Yeah, that sounds like a lot of excuses to me, too, but it is true!)  So I am trying a new tack.

Papers are my biggest enemy.  I just do not have time deal with them.  I am getting better and finding systems that work for me, but the backlog (more than 14 years worth!) is daunting.

So...I need to
  • keep up with what comes in
  • deal with each item completely instead of sorting first (perhaps inefficient but at least it will be done
  • deal with one project at a time
I also want to report that I have met seven, count them, 7! deadlines for the week.       Ahead of time.       No procrastinating (no, that did not make the list of resolutions, as that is not realistic; at least, not yet).

While I am still falling short on the sleep front (remember those 7 deadlines?), I have been getting exercise.  Moving more.....like walking up and down the stairs while chatting on the phone, jogging in place at school pick-up, wearing ankle weights while working in the house, doing jumping jacks while I cook dinner.  I've even gone on 2 walks since the first of the year.  Now, that may not seem like progress to you.  No health club is involved and it is not sustained exercise.  But I need to start small and let my body get reacquainted with more formal exercise.  Too many weeks of being sick have taken a toll on this aging body and I just do not bounce back as quickly or as easily.  Now if I can just find a way to move more while on the computer....

With the decks cleared of immediate deadlines and the kitchen clutter (not including the table!) tamed temporarily, I get to reward myself with working on a sewing project!  I need to get as many things completed before I start teaching again, so start counting!

2 comments:

  1. Bravo! If we were closer I would walk with you:) I need a little kick in the pants.

    Your counter looks great. I don't think I will go into my kitchen for the rest of the night now...haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, I think you would be a delightful walking partner, friend, neighbor!

    ReplyDelete