Monday, December 6, 2010

Back in action

Oh, what a Sunday!  It has been weeks since I had any real ambition, thanks to the nasty bug(s) inhabiting my body.  But I finally vanquished enough of the pain in cough-racked ribs to tackle some real physical activity.  Raking leaves.  It has been driving me nuts to look out the window and see the grass and soil hidden beneath leaves inches deep.  So I tentatively went to work, carefully gauging my tender torso.  I will admit to almost wimping out at one point, but I pushed on.  I raked, mowed the lawn, and raked some more, until the compost heap was overflowing and the yard bin full.  So I still have a few piles of leaves, but I feel I really accomplished something.  And while the exercise was long overdue, somehow I didn't break out in a sweat.

So did I relax then?  No.  I made a huge pot of soup.  Minestrone.
Want to know my secret ingredients?  V8 juice, refried beans, and Spicy Mrs. Dash.  And I add precooked pasta towards the end and the peas and stewed tomatoes last.

I was finished then.  Right?  Right?  Nope.  I baked black-bottomed cupcakes (an old Sunset magazine recipe) to thank the wonderful group of students I supervise.  Have I mentioned I teach?  No?  Well, I do.  And instead of writing an exam (the one thing I detest more than grading), I found myself doing kinds of other things.

Today they came running in to get them.  They have me well trained to make them near the end of every semester.  After all they do to make my life easier, how could I not?!

Have you remembered to thank someone who makes your life easier?
(And, yes, I am avoiding writing my exam by blogging!)



1 comment:

  1. There's something so satisfying about warm food at this time of the year, isn't there!

    Blogging is great for avoiding some tasks and others I do just so I have something to blog about--tee-hee.

    ReplyDelete